Cisco CloudCenter 4.9.0 Release Notes
April 16, 2018
May 29, 2018 – with scalability details for this release
August 1, 2018: Added details on the Upgrade Path.
August 14, 2016: Added details to include the cloudFamilyType attribute and deprecate the publicCloud attribute in the API section.
CloudCenter 4.9.0 is available as virtual appliances. See Virtual Appliance Overview for additional context.
You can now use the corresponding wizards for the CCM and CCO servers in your environment to configure the proxy settings to connect to the Internet. See Proxy Settings for additional context.
When installing the worker module in CloudCenter 22.214.171.124 and earlier versions, you had to set the environment variables to skip installation of specific modules. In CloudCenter 4.9.0, you have the option to use one of these modes: worker1(default), worker_basic, or worker_full. See Install Worker on a Linux Image > Installation Process > Syntax for additional details.
You can only upgrade to CloudCenter 4.9.0 from CloudCenter 4.7.0 and later releases.
To upgrade to CloudCenter 4.9.0, see Upgrade Overview for additional context.
When you run the core_upgrade.bin file as part of the upgrade process, Upgrade Overview
Support for CCM Disaster Recovery (DR) in a new or existing CloudCenter deployment. See Cross-Region Disaster Recovery for additional context.
The recommended upgrade path if you are using CloudCenter 4.9.0 is to upgrade to CloudCenter 4.9.1 Release Notes.
Component Version Matrix
See the Version Matrix for a list of third-party or Open Source application versions used by CloudCenter 4.9.0.
Java Version 1.8 Update 162:
Guacamole OS-specific Protocol Choice:
Prior to CloudCenter 4.9.0, you could not select a protocol based on the OS used by Application VMs.
Effective CloudCenter 4.9.0, the default RDP protocol is TLS (supports Windows 2008 R2, 2012 R2 and 2016). This is a change!
If you prefer to use older versions of Windows that only support RDP SSL, change the default to RDP from the default TLS.
See Per Cloud Region (Required) > AMQP > AMQP HA > Configure CCM/CCO Properties for Guacamole Server for additional context.
New Images provided by Cisco:
When installing CloudCenter tools (Worker) on a Windows image, both CliQr Service and Jetty service start up using the Automatic (Delayed Start) type effective CloudCenter 4.9.0, unlike CloudCenter 4.8.2, which starts up using the Automatic type. See Install Worker on a Windows Image for additional context. This is a change!
Kubernetes as a Container Cloud: New!
Additional support for Kubernetes. See Container Clouds for additional details.
See Configure Cloud(s) > Configure a Kubernetes Cloud Container for cloud configuration details.
See Container Service to understand the new service type option that you can use to isolate services.
Additional log files (cloudblade.log and container-blade.log) to support container clouds. See Locate Log Files for additional context.
Azure Stack: New!
Germany Central (Frankfurt) and Germany Northeast (Magdeburg) are added to the list of supported clouds. See Public Clouds for additional context.
Additional support for Attach Volumes, Detach Volumes, and Resize Instance Type actions. See Actions Library for additional context.
VM Stop or deployment Suspend now results in the VM being stopped and de-allocated on AzureRM. See Deployment and VM States for additional context. This is a change!
Additional support for Generation 2 images in addition to Generation 1 images on Azure Pack for Windows Server 2012 R2. See Datacenters and Private Clouds for additional details.
Additional support for multiple NICs. See Azure Pack Network Settings for details.
Additional support for the Reboot action. See Actions Library for additional context.
OpenStack Pike is included in the list of supported clouds.
See Datacenters and Private Clouds for additional details.
Additional support for EU West3 (Paris). See Public Clouds for additional context.
Additional support for the following instance type families:
x1e : ap-northeast-1, ap-southeast-2, eu-west-1, us-east-1 & us-west-2
m5 : eu-west-1, eu-west-2, eu-west-3, us-east-1, us-west-1 & us-west-2
h1 : eu-west-1, us-east-1, us-east-2 & us-west-2
Support to view the usage summary for the current period and invoice for past periods. See the Administration and Governance section below for additional details.
A scheduled background task automatically syncs instance types and their corresponding costs. See Manage Instance Types > Auto-Sync Instance Types for additional context. Administrators can no longer perform the following tasks: This is a change!
Edit the details of the instance types or delete it from the list.
Add any instance types manually – this option is removed and no longer available for AWS.
The option to Grant Image Launch Permissions is no longer required as the images are mapped to public images that are dynamically bootstrapped. If you are upgrading from a previous version, you must perform a Sync Image Mapping on the region page to retrieve the new mappings.
Currently the display name for regions differs from the names displayed in the Dimension Data portal – this format has been changed as follows:
North America NA12 (US - West) – Renamed from US-West-MCP 2.0 NA12
North America NA9 (US - East3) – Renamed from US-East-MCP 2.0 NA9
Support for the US East (NA1), US West (NA3), and US East 2 (NA5) North American regions and Europe - London MCP 1.0 (EU2) region is deprecated in CloudCenter 4.9.0.
Google-us-east4, Google-europe-west2, Google-europe-west3, Google-asia-south1, Google-asia-southeast1, Google-southamerica-east1, and Google-australia-southeast1 are now included in the list of supported clouds. See Public Clouds for additional details.
Google-us-central1 (Iowa), Google-us-west1 (Oregon), Google-europe-west1 (Belgium), and Google-asia-east1 (Taiwan) additionally support the following additional instance types: n1-standard-96, n1-highmem-96, and n1-highcpu-96.
The Configure Cloud Settings popup includes a new dropdown field called VM Create Workflow. At the region level. This field is specific to VMware cloud environments that use vSphere and particularly useful when performing the cloning, reconfiguring, and customizing actions as a single action instead of independent actions. See Region-Level Cloud Settings > VM Create Workflow for additional context.
You can now specify the root disk size at deployment time when you configure the storage type. See Environments for additional context.
IBM Bluemix (SoftLayer):
Additional Brownfield support to import VMs and install the agent on an Imported VM from the CCM UI. See Actions Library for additional details.
Additional support for the Attach/Detach Volume and Sync VM Information actions. See Actions Library for additional context.
In earlier releases, the CloudCenter platform's SoftLayer implementation only supported public and private VLANs in the region-level settings. You can now configure the VLANs and subnets from the Environments and Deployment Environment Defaults pages. This is a change!
Applications and Services
Auto Scale Percentage:
This optional setting helps the CloudCenter platform calculate the time when automatic scaling must be triggered based on a configured percentage. This is a change!
The scaling is executed once the required percentage of active nodes in an application tier meets the criteria for scaling.
See Configuring a Scaling Policy > Auto Scale Percentage for additional context.
Google Charts Replacement:
Effective CloudCenter 4.9.0, the CloudCenter platform has removed its dependency on Google Charts to display the VM usage over time on the Dashboard page as this application requires internet connection to function and does not work in offline mode. This is a change!
Along with this change, the CloudCenter platform loads the Dashboard even in offline mode and has additional tool tips to identify the Usage Limit and Actual Use data.
Scalability: Cisco provides deployment scalability results based on tests run for CloudCenter 4.9.0 for the following clouds:
Administration and Governance
CloudCenter 4.9.0 provides support to display the following currencies:
AUD = Australian Dollar
CNY = Chinese Yuan Renminbi
EUR = European Euro
GBP = British Pound
JPY = Japanese Yen
USD = US Dollar (default)
You can change the default currency from the Tenant Information page.
Any user input fields continue to accept and display values in USD.
See Account Details > Billing Currency for additional context.
Last Billing Cycle and Invoice Summary:
Support to view the usage summary for the current period and invoice for past periods.
The Cloud Accounts page displays a new column called Last Billing Cycle for users having manage and modify privileges for an AWS cloud account. This is a change!
See Manage Instance Types > Last Billing Cycle and Invoice Summary for additional details.
MilliCPUs for Kubernetes Containers:
Custom Pricing: This is a change!
Effective CloudCenter 4.9.0, administrators can perform the following actions for the selected cloud account and region:
Set a Price Adjustment value, which will change the custom price for all the instance types. So, users don’t have to change it individually for all the instance types.
Enable/disable instance types functionality.
See Manage Instance Types > Custom Pricing for additional context.
End of Life Notices
The following features are deprecated effective CloudCenter 4.9.0:
The cliqr-cis.log generated by the CCO server is no longer available. See Locate Log Files for related information.
Ubuntu12 image mapping will no longer be available for web services. Applications still using this version will fail once the CCM is upgraded to CloudCenter 4.9.0.
The Sync Instance Type feature is no longer available for AWS. See Manage Instance Types for related information.
The option to Grant Image Permissions is no longer available as the CloudCenter platform uses public images.
Support for the US East (NA1), US West (NA3), and US East 2 (NA5) North American regions and Europe - London MCP 1.0 (EU2) region is deprecated in CloudCenter 4.9.0. All public images mappings are also deprecated as these regions do not use shared images.
The grantAndRevoke attribute and the GRANT_IMAGE_LAUNCH_PERMISSIONS action is no longer required as the CloudCenter platform uses public images. Consequently, the Perform Cloud Account Actions API is also deprecated.
The Azure Pack Network field is no longer required or available when you Configure an Azure Pack Cloud.
The Root Disk Resizable field is no longer required or available when you configure VMware Cloud Settings for Deployments and Deployment Environment Defaults.
Instance Type Storage has been removed from VMware instance types configuration in the Regions page. Instead, you can now specify the Root Disk Size and Additional volume size at deployment time. See Deployment Environments for additional details.
The publicCloud attribute is deprecated and replaced at the cloud level by the cloudFamilyType attribute. See the Updated APIs section below.
Browser Compatibility: Cisco supports the two latest versions of each browser. See Browser Compatibility for a list of compatible browsers.
CloudCenter 4.6.0 introduces v2 APIs, where applicable. If a new API is introduced for the first time, it continues to use v1 as it is still the first version of that particular API. The following list differentiates between the New and Updated APIs for CloudCenter 4.9.0.
New APIs: None.
- Arcus is an API broker and translator.
- You can optionally launch an isolated Arcus server
- Arcus installer packages are available as a standalone component and can be downloaded along with other CloudCenter components from the Cisco CloudCenter download location.
- See Arcus Server and Certificate Authentication > Update the certs.zip File on the Arcus Server for additional details.
res the same space as CloudCenter 4.8.2. This space is now updated to reflect both releases, as shown in the following screenshot.
CloudCenter 4.9.0 has the following known issues:
The CloudCenter Deployment service allows you to embed a deployment of another application within an application. When you choose a container-based application profile as the application to be embedded within another application, you will get an error when you try to launch the deployment (There are no running deployments of the app associated with the deployment service for the selected deployment environment and cloud region combination) You can embed one application within another only if it is a VM-based application.
Sometimes, CCOs do not come up successfully in HA mode due to an operation-heartbeat-timeout error. See CCO Troubleshooting for additional details.
Some Azure Pack deployments fail if the application contains additional volumes and uses Gen2 images. However, these deployments work as designed if using Gen1 images.
Managed VMs are not listed after an upgrade from CloudCenter 4.7.3 to 4.9.0. To work around this issue, run the following SQL query and restart the CCM. The managed VMs will start showing up. update system_setting set value=true where name= 'UPDATE_ACL_PERMS_OF_DEPLOYMENT_RESOURCES
Some application deployment with external initialization scripts fail when the parameter is of type PATH and its value is a URL which cannot be downloaded. Avoid using parameters of type PATH if its value cannot be downloaded. Instead, add this value as a string.
Sometimes, fonts are not rendered correctly even if the liberation-mono-fonts package is installed on the AMQP server. If the fonts look illegible, log into the AMQP instance and execute the following command:
This command installs another variant of mono-fonts that helps render the SSH fonts correctly.
The following issues were resolved/addressed in CloudCenter 4.9.0.
- CSCvg72554: Remove 3rd party tools like 7zip from windows agent installer because of security concerns, and replace 7zip with a native zip tool.
Resolution: Notepad2, Putty, and 7zip have been removed from the installer in 4.9.0. 7zip is replaced with ccc-archiver, a proprietary tool, as there are no Windows native tools for opening TAR files.
- CSCvf95365: CloudCenter VM template and details not accurate. The issue occurs when you try to sync the VM with information from the cloud provider. This error on sync up causes a new instance type to be created without any pricing and storage details.
Resolution: This issue is addressed in CloudCenter 4.8.2 and the VM information is synced with the cloud provider information as designed.
- CSCvg19766: Custom Worker installation must provide variables to customize agent installation for additional convenience.
Resolution: This enhancement is listed in the Installation section above.
- CSCvg19832: The CloudCenter platform does not provide edit access to cloud accounts other than to the owner.
Resolution: Effective CloudCenter 4.9.0, if a cloud account is shared with modify or manage access, the users receiving that shared access can edit the account.
- CSCvg30058: Additional variables are required in the Action Library for Azure-specific functions.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes the following environment variables for running actions on Azure cloud VMs:
- resourceGroup (identifies the resource group of the VM)
- location (identifies the location of the cloud region name where the VM is launched, for example: value "us-west" )
- CSCvg36752: The forceAuthN parameter is related to SSO and is not supported. It will allow the CloudCenter platform to force the SSO server to re-authenticate and prevent a 401-authentication error.
- Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes support for the forceAuthN parameter.
- CSCvg42881: Cannot use international letters except for LATIN-1 character code. CloudCenter provides UI with different languages but returns an error when writing custom text in characters other than Latin.
Resolution: The CloudCenter platform now supports international alpha-characters in the application profiles, clouds, regions, deployment environments, plans, and contracts fields.
- CSCvh02445: Tenant admin is unable to view all the VMs mapped to deployments in the tenant by default. Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that a tenant admin can, by default, view all VMs mapped to deployments in the tenant. See VM Management or View Managed VMs for additional context.
- CSCvg58647: Configuring a Security Profile name with a blank space character does not work with ACI.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that blank spaces are accepted in the security profile name.
- CSCvg58970: When used in ACI, the Application Profiles associated with security profiles are not cleaned up properly, giving errors regarding un-referenced objects and leaving empty EPGs with contracts associated in the fabric.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to address this issue and the application and security profiles are now cleaned up as designed.
- CSCvg79409: SSL certificates can't be imported in the mgmtserver_backend of the CCM UI. Instead of importing an SSL certificate, the application hangs and no information appears in the log files.
Resolution: The import page should not have been present and was removed.
- CSCvg80273: An SSO Account can be created without a first or last name. If a SSO server has a user with no first or last name, but a valid e-mail address, they can still use SSO to login to the CloudCenter platform. The corresponding account will have null first and null last name. This in turn, breaks sharing of resources with individual users as required information is null.
Resolution: SSO users without first/last names are created with a default "Unspecified" name and these users are also populated when sharing resources.
- CSCvg85527: Require the ability to specify custom parameters with its value being set in the CMDB record via the ServiceNow application.
Resolution: Use theView Job Details API to specify global and tier parameters.
- CSCvg88817: When submitting a new MongoDB application, the ability to leave the DB User ID field blank to disable authentication does not work as the CloudCenter UI marks this input as mandatory.
Resolution: The mandatory requirement for the General Settings > DB User ID field has been removed.
- CSCvg89339: Specifying an IP address with a subnet mask that does not use the default /32 causes problems in the db_config_wizard for MGMTPOSTGRES appliances and /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/dta/pg_hba.conf is wrongly configured.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that specifying a DNS name or IP address or IP with a subnet in the db_config_wizard.sh updates the var/lib/pgsql/9.5/dta/pg_hba.conf file correctly.
- CSCvh21580: Add support for EC2 & S3 for AWS EU location Paris.
Resolution: The list of regions support by the CloudCenter platform for AWS now includes EU West3 (Paris).
- CSCvh23741: Enabling Windows 2016 SMB1 should be integrated into the agent deployment workflow.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that enabling Windows 2016 SMB1 is integrated into the agent deployment workflow.
- CSCvh50632: Local Repo and Custom Worker Using Ubuntu 16.04 Fail to Sync.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that the repository is synced as designed.
- CSCvh58288: Guacamole failed to connect to Windows 2016.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that Guacamole allows connection to a Windows 2016 Worker VM. The default RDP protocol is now set to TLS. If the OS in your environment does not support this protocol, then update the setting as described in the Architecture section (above) > Guacamole OS-Specific Protocol Choice bullet.
- CSCvh79242: Windows 2012 deployment remains in the In-Progress state.
Resolution: The CloudCenter platform now performs a delayed start of agent services for Windows deployments to address this issue.
- CSCvi75078: The Virtual Machines UI page fails to list the VMs as soon as a deployment is launched. The VMs launched by CloudCenter will show up once the deployment is complete or ends in error.
Resolution: CloudCenter 126.96.36.199 listed this issue as a known issue. CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that a newly launched VM is listed when you refresh or visit the Virtual Machines page.
- CSCvh95932: Deployment error failed to read a Linux bootstrap script that was specified in the URL.
Resolution: Misleading error messages were corrected to facilitate debugging.
- CSCvh99377: Error While Running core_upgrade.bin in the Log Collector During 4.8.2 to 188.8.131.52 Upgrade.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a prerequisite check to ensure that the core upgrade tool skips an upgrade if the log collector is already up to date.
- CSCvi01607: Windows 2012 custom images failed to deploy on Azure.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that these custom images can be deployed successfully.
- CSCvi12862: When you clone and reconfigure NICs at the same time on a VMware vSphere 5.5. server, the NICs were deleted and returned a nic.mismatch error during customization.
Resolution: In some cases, NICs were being deleted while the cloning and reconfiguring at the same time. CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a new VM create workflow to clone and then reconfigure and customize independently.
- CSCvi12822: The gateway parameter is not optional for IPAM callouts. When you provision a VM in VMware with multiple NICs but assign or set a gateway to only one NIC, you receive the following error: VMware: Gateway parameter is not optional for IPAM callout, hence multi-NIC cases don't work.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that the gateway parameter is set to optional so that multi-NIC deployments can complete successfully.
- CSCvi21818: The current suspendandstop action stops the OS from running but continues to incur compute charges in Azure. A new option/action to stop and deallocate resources is required to avoid charges especially for large VM environments.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 now uses the Azure deallocate command instead of the poweroff command to ensure that all resources are deallocated and not charged when stopped.
- CSCvi49176: The reboot command in service agent lifecycle actions does not work if the agent actions bundle is selected as a repository but works when a URL is specified.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that reboot works successfully even if the repository is selected.
- CSCvi24359: New Tenant Logo is not updated in the GUI because there are insufficient permissions on the logo file.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to change the directory permission for the assets folder of the root tenant so that the tenant logo can be updated.
- CSCvi25725: Deploying a single node to ACI with no firewall rules causes the deployment to fail with a DVS Port Group Not Found error.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that these deployments complete successfully.
- CSCvi80335: If a deployment is terminated, its name cannot be re-used for another deployment.
Resolution: While the CloudCenter platform did not allow a job to be resubmitted with the same name as a previously-used deployment. Effective CloudCenter 4.9.0, you can re-use the same name as long as you have already deleted the previous job with the same name.
- CSCvi29938: When you disable the provider's public IP in a deployment environment and lock the cloud setting so no one can change it at deployment time and then deploy a new VM, it continues to be launched with a public IP.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that an instance is launched without public IP when it is set to OFF and locked in a deployment environment.
- CSCvi34805: The CCO, in an AWS environment, does not pass parameters into the userenv file.
Resolution: When a VM is launched within a private subnet, then the environment variable cliqrNodePublicIP was not set and only the cliqrNodePrivateIP variable was set. CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that both cliqrNodePublicIP and cliqrNodePrivateIP are set to the private IP address when the VM is launched in a private subnet.
- CSCvi39143: When using the Topology Modeler in the CCM UI for a multi-tier deployment to apply firewall rules, the following error is issued:
com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: Cloud : AzureRM, Service : AzureInstanceOperation, Error Code : OperationError, Error Message : Security rule [AZURE FIREWALL INFORMATION] has invalid Address prefix. Value provided: [TIER_NAME]
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to allow the creation of firewall rules for southbound-only communications to a tier.
- CSCvi49066: Need an enhancement to allow firewall rules as input to the userenv file for a customized implementation.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to allow firewall rules to be written to the userenv file. See CloudCenter-Defined Parameters > The userenv Utility File for additional details.
- CSCvi49878: Large VM annotations result in deployments not displaying correctly in vCenter 5.5.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that these deployments display correctly in vCenter 5.5 by truncating any annotations longer than 2000 characters before it is displayed in vCenter.
- CSCvi50107: During a VMware Private Cloud deployment, the deploy fails with the Failed to find virtual machine 'xxx' error.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a retry mechanism to fetch the VM to ensure that these deployments complete successfully.
- CSCvi54521: When scaling a VMware Private Cloud deployment, the scaling fail with the Failed to find virtual machine xxx error.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that these deployments can be scaled successfully.
- CSCvi74550: Deployed event policy does not trigger email.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 includes a fix to ensure that email notification is sent when a deployment enters the deployed state if directed by an event policy.
- CSCvi42348: The CloudCenter platform ignores Email ID mapping and uses the Name ID value instead. This issue is noticeable if your Name ID is different from your email address.
Resolution: CloudCenter 4.9.0 ensures that the email address value is used first. If an email address is not configured, then the Name ID value is used instead.
- No labels